Minsk is responsible for the “hybrid attack” in the form of the flow of migrants to the borders of Belarus with the EU, said Ursula von der Leyen. Poland has previously stopped a massive attempt to enter the country illegally.
President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen called on the EU member-states to approve expansion of sanctions against the Belarusian authorities in light of the worsening migration crisis on the borders of the EU with Belarus. It is official Minsk that is responsible for “this hybrid attack,” she said on Monday, November 8. Furthermore, Brussels will study the possibility of applying penalties to “airlines from third countries involved in human trafficking,” von der Leyen added. “Belarus should stop playing with human lives,” stressed the head of the European Commission.
Margarytis Schinas, vice-president of the European Commission, will visit the countries of origin of migrants in the coming days in order to make sure that their citizens “are not trapped by the Belarusian authorities. In addition, Brussels, together with the UN, will study the safe return of migrants to their home countries with the support of national authorities.
Warsaw will close the border crossing point “Kuznitsa” on the border with Belarus.
Polish authorities ordered to temporarily close the border crossing “Kuznitsa” on the border with Belarus. The measure will come into force at 7 a.m. on November 9. Polish Border Guard Service recommended people, willing to get into the Polish territory, to use the checkpoints in Terespol and Babrovniki.
Meanwhile, Lithuanian authorities sent troops to the Belarusian border. Official Vilnius will consider the possibility of an emergency situation in the border area, said Minister of the Interior of Lithuania Agne Bilotaite.
Poland has stopped the first mass wave of illegal immigrants from Belarus
A few hours earlier, large groups of migrants had tried to break into the territory of the European Union through the barriers at the Polish-Belarusian border. Border guards and soldiers managed to stop the illegal immigrants, who set up a camp near the village of Kuznica. State Border Committee of Belarus claims that there are more than two thousand people in front of the barricades at the border with Poland.
The day before it was reported that Belarus had significantly increased the number of flights from the Middle East to Minsk. According to the estimation of the special services of the Federal Republic of Germany, at present 800-1000 migrants arrive in Belarus every day.
In late May, Belarusian ruler Alexander Lukashenko said that Minsk would no longer detain illegal immigrants trying to enter the European Union through Belarus. After that the flow of illegal migrants increased sharply, first to Lithuania and then to Poland. The European Union accuses Lukashenko’s regime of deliberately provoking a migration crisis and organizing the transfer of thousands of illegals to the EU borders in response to the sanctions that Europe has imposed on his regime.